Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Help: Inspirational or not?

By Angela Thomas


I’ve recently just finished the book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett. That being said, I am not sure how I feel about the controversy over the book. I understand the point of view about the book having the same old “white woman helps and saves black woman.” However, I found the two women of color characters, Aibileen and Minny to be the strongest characters in the book and although Mrs. Skeeter helped Aibileen and Minny with their book, it was ultimately Minny and Aibileen who helped themselves. I haven’t seen the film adaptation of the book, so I am not sure how they portray all the characters and stories. I think what Stockett was trying to prove was that conditions for women and men of color were terrible. The way they were treated was (and still is) disturbing. Stockett was just trying to bring light to a harsh situation.

The book was thoroughly enjoyable for me and had me laughing at some parts and tearing up at some. I don’t think I’ve ever hated a character like Hilly but she was also a fictional character that represents many non-fictional people today. Celia Foote was one of the most amazing literary characters I have ever read. Her compassion, her innocence, who colorblindness, and her strength were extremely inspiring. This novel is absolutely recommended! 

No comments:

Post a Comment